Beauty, good looks, external appearances have taken a leading role in redefining our personality. We all yearn for flawless skin & an attractive body appearance. People are no more hesitant to get under the surgeon’s knife to achieve a perfect body, shape & enhance looks at extravagant costs. Cosmetic treatments in India most commonly deal with restoration of all types of deformities & defects including reconstructive surgery. Electively utilized as corrective surgery for defects in the body like enhancing eyebrows, lips, nose, stretch marks, shape & the size of breasts & buttocks, new technological developments in cosmetology & plastic surgery now help surgeons perform complex surgeries deftly.
What is Cosmetic Surgery?
Although cosmetic surgery & plastic surgery are not one & the same, they are closely related & serve as a magic wand of modern day medicine. They are medical procedures which are designed with a purpose of physical restoration or alteration of the physical body appearance. Cosmetic surgery is also called Aesthetic Surgery since it involves enhancing beauty. Well known nowadays, cosmetic surgery includes many types of hand surgery, microsurgery, reconstructive breast surgery & treatment for burnt skin. Significant numbers of plastic surgeons often choose to focus on cosmetic surgery since the terms of treatments generally interchange as they are closely related specialties.
While cosmetic surgery is focused on enhancing appearance, plastic surgery focuses on repairing defects in order to reconstruct normal function & appearance. Techniques, procedures & principles of cosmetic surgery entirely focus on enhancing appearance while improving symmetry, aesthetic appeal & proportion. Cosmetic surgery procedures can be performed on all areas of the neck, head & the body. Since, areas to be treated function properly, cosmetic surgery is considered to be elective. Moreover, cosmetic surgery is commonly practiced by doctors coming from a variety of medical specialties, including plastic surgeons as well. The scope of plastic surgery includes the following.
- Breast Enhancement including Breast Lift, Breast Augmentation or Breast Reduction
- Facial Contouring includes Cheek Enhancement, Rhinoplasty & Chin Implants
- Facial Rejuvenation includes Eyelid Lift, Brow Lift, Facelift & Neck lift
- Body Contouring procedures include Liposuction, Tummy Tuck & Gynecomastia surgery
- Skin Rejuvenation includes Botox, Laser resurfacing & Filler Treatments
Plastic surgery is generally focused on repairing defects so as to reconstruct normal function & appearance. Plastic surgery defines a surgical specialty which is dedicated to the reconstruction of defects in face & the body which is congenital or due to birth disorders, burns, trauma & disease. Plastic surgery is generally intended to correct dysfunctional areas of the patient’s body & which is reconstructive in nature. Several plastic surgeons choose to undergo complete additional training in order to be able to perform cosmetic surgery as well. Good examples of plastic surgery procedures include the following.
- Breast Reconstruction
- Congenital Defect Repair Surgeries like Cleft Lip Surgery, Cleft Palate Surgery & Extremity Defect Repairs
- Burn Repair Surgery
- Scar Revision Surgery
- Hand Surgery
- Lower Extremity Reconstruction
Prior to making an appointment with cosmetic surgeons, people must consider their motive for wanting to change appearance. Since cosmetic surgery can bring dramatic & lasting changes to appearance, it is important that patients understand & realize how they will affect their personality. There are several physical characteristics which can be successfully altered through cosmetic surgery. Nevertheless, good candidates for cosmetic surgery include the following.
- Persons having realistic expectations about what can possibly be accomplished.
- Patients who understand the medical risks involved in the procedure including physical effects during healing. They understand how cosmetic surgery will personally & professionally affect them & the kind of lifestyle changes they will have to accommodate during recovery & the expenses involved.
- Patients should have discussed their goals for cosmetic surgery with the surgeon & would have resolved any questions that they have.
- Having diabetes or any other chronic medical condition under control.
- Having no history of smoking or have committed to abstaining smoking & nicotine products including nicotine patches, chewing tobacco lozenges or gums for at least six weeks prior & after cosmetic surgery.
- Having stable weight for the past 6 months to one year.
- Carbon monoxide, nicotine & various other toxins found in tobacco smoke decrease blood flow to the skin.
- Smoking typically affects wound healing & worsens scarring as well.
- Smoking increases post-anesthesia risks & complications including hypertension, blood clots & pneumonia.
Questions that cosmetic surgery patients must ask themselves prior to pursuing cosmetic surgery.
- What motivates me for wanting to change my appearance?
- What specific attributes of appearance do I want to change?
- Am I having realistic expectations about results of cosmetic surgery?
- What aspects of life will be affected by this cosmetic surgery including social obligations, travel, work & family?
- Which will time period in life this cosmetic procedure work best so that you can have a greater chance of successful recovery?
- Talk about any concerns & questions openly with the healthcare provider?
It would be a very good idea for cosmetic surgery patients to bring a notepad & write down answers during the initial consultation to their questions.
- What qualifications are you having?
- Are you a board certified cosmetic surgeon?
- How many similar procedures have you performed like the one I am considering?
- Which will other healthcare professionals be involved in my cosmetic procedure?
- What type of side effects can I expect from my cosmetic surgery procedure?
- What kind of an outcome can I expect from my cosmetic surgery?
- What possible complications are involved with my cosmetic surgery?
- Which type of help will I require at home following my cosmetic surgery procedure?
- How long will it take for me to experience results from my cosmetic surgery?
- How long after cosmetic surgery will it take for me to get back to work & resume exercising?
- What type of complications from my cosmetic procedure is unique, particularly to my health history?
- Will I have any scars following my cosmetic procedure & if so, what will they look like?
- Will my cosmetic procedure involve stitches & when will they be removed?
- What would be the approximate overall cost of my cosmetic surgery?
- What can this cosmetic surgery procedure do?
- What will this cosmetic procedure not do?
- What is the recovery period post surgery?
- Should I be expecting much discomfort following cosmetic surgery?
- Will I be having any scars post cosmetic surgery?
- Are there any other cosmetic procedures I should be considering at the same time?
- Will I need to undergo a physical examination prior to undergoing cosmetic surgery?
- How long will results last from my cosmetic surgery?
- How much will it cost me for this entire cosmetic procedure?
Questions concerning recovery are most often asked by patients undergoing cosmetic surgery. Average time patients take from work to recovery following cosmetic surgery procedures is given below. However, keep in mind the following factors since they influence post-surgery recovery process.
- For patients whose job is physically strenuous, will require more time to get back to work.
- It is better to schedule more time for recovery than normally required. It would be a pleasant surprise if patients get back to normal routine sooner than it was expected. This way they will also avoid extra stress of worrying about getting well soon.
- Social downtime may be of particular concern for patients undergoing facial cosmetic surgery. This is especially so when the patient is bruised easily or is very concerned that no one gets to know of his/her surgical intervention. Such patients may even want to plan for longer.
- Breast Lift Surgery – 7 Days
- Breast Augmentation Surgery – 7 Days
- Breast Reduction Surgery – 7 Days
- Liposuction – 7 Days
- Arm Lift or Brachioplasty – 7 Days
- Male Chest Reduction (Gynecomastia) – 7 Days
- Mommy Makeover – 21 to 28 Days
- Tummy Tuck Surgery – 21 to 28 Days
- Eyelid Surgery – 14 Days
- Facelift Surgery – 14 Days
- Brow Lift Surgery – 7 to 14 Days
- Body Lift Surgery – 21 to 28 Days
Helping cosmetic surgery patients manage a speedy recovery is a primary mission of the healthcare team. Surgical experience is a partnership between the patient & the medical team & there are things which patients can do prior to surgery in order to ensure best possible outcomes. Moreover, attitude & personality of the patient plays an important role in recovery.
Like it is with all types of surgical interventions, cosmetic surgery also carries risks. Patients with a history of obesity, diabetes, lung disease or cardiovascular disease carry the higher risk of developing complications like blood clots in legs or lungs, heart attack, stroke or pneumonia. Smoking is also found to be increasing risks while interfering with healing. Meetings with cosmetic surgeons usually include discussion of such risks & other factors related to the patient’s medical history. Possible complications with any type of surgical procedures include the following.
- Complications relating to anesthesia include blood clots, pneumonia & rarely death.
- Infection at the site of incision may sometimes worsen scarring & in cases even require additional surgery.
- Fluid may build up under the skin.
- Mild bleeding which may sometimes require additional surgery or significant bleeding requiring a blood transfusion.
- Skin breakdown or obvious scarring which normally occurs when healing skin separates from healthy skin. This must also be immediately removed through surgical means.
- Tingling & numbness from nerve damage & which may often be permanent.
Some common expectations from cosmetic surgery procedures are mentioned below.
- Cosmetic care is targeted to individual requirements of each patient.
- A realistic expectation is a key to success of cosmetic surgery, while the goal is an improvement & not perfection.
- Every individual is asymmetrical.
- Every patient will have a different result from his cosmetic procedure.
- Patients are required to take at least two visits to the cosmetic surgeon or to the healthcare team prior to undergoing surgery.
- It is essential that patients are in good physical & mental health for undergoing cosmetic surgery.
- Avoiding secondhand smoke & abstaining from all nicotine products for at least 6 weeks before & after cosmetic surgery is crucial to obtaining successful outcomes.
- Surgical scars resulting from cosmetic surgery are permanent.
- Swelling & bruising following cosmetic surgery are temporary.
- Some cosmetic surgeries require placement of drains at the end of the operation.
- Time for recovery varies from one person to another & from procedure to procedure, but a minimum time of 6 to 12 weeks is typical for several cosmetic procedures.
- Insurance rarely covers cosmetic surgery procedures.
- Cosmetic surgery patients quite often require follow-up procedures in order to achieve targeted goals.
- Waiting period between two cosmetic surgery procedures is normally at least 4 months.
Medical Tourism in India
Over the past few decades, medical tourism in India has established as a leading healthcare destination for international patients seeking affordable alternatives to the rising cost of healthcare within the countries of the western hemisphere. Several globally reputed doctors & surgeons who are now practicing in India have initially spent decades training in medically advanced countries like UK, Germany, Canada & United States before returning to India. They are therefore well-experienced & keep themselves abreast of the latest technologies & emerging trends. Healthcare infrastructure too within the country is on a firm footing with numerous global healthcare giants like Wockhardt, Fortis, Max Healthcare & Columbia Asia has opened numerous branches sensing an opportunity. The entire healthcare industry comprising of a large pool of specialist surgeons & nationally & internationally accredited multispecialty hospitals are very well supported by highly skilled English speaking nurses & professional staff who are quite capable of helping international patients recover within a comfortable & familiar environment post treatment.
Why Travcure for Cosmetic Surgery
Travcure medical tourism is just not another healthcare tourism platform which is solely interested in drawing international patients of cosmetic surgery for low-cost treatment procedures in India. The entire approach of Travcure towards patients is focused not merely on providing affordable healthcare solutions but is also intended to give them the highest quality of treatment as well. Travcure is closely associated with top specialist surgeons in the country including plastic surgeons & is having tie-ups with the best nationally & internationally accredited specialty & multispecialty hospital facilities so as to provide a wide spectrum of medical treatments including cosmetic surgery without any waiting period. Moreover, services offered by Travcure are seamless & thoughtfully covers every detailed requirement of an international patient fight from the moment he/she lands up here for a medical procedure to the day he flies back home after a successful outcome.