Cardiovascular surgery is an umbrella term used to describe any type of surgical procedure that is performed on the cardio (heart) and the vascular (blood vessels) to treat a number of diseases relating to the heart and arteries and veins.
What are Cardiovascular Surgeries?
Cardiovascular surgery basically treats a number of diseases and medical disorders that affect your heart and the network of arteries and veins connecting it to every part of the body. This cardiovascular system is responsible for pumping the blood around your body in a constant and regular manner. A large number of diseases and disorders can affect your heart and vascular system which may require a cardiovascular surgical treatment to correct it.
The surgical treatment methods for cardiovascular disorders are of mainly two types:
- Open/conventional method – This surgical method requires the surgeon to make normal incisions in the skin to reach the heart or the blood vessel. This is the older and more commonly performed procedure earlier.
- Endovascular method – This type of surgery is a minimally invasive type of surgery and is performed using special miniature surgical instruments to treat the disorders of the heart and blood vessels.
These are the main types of heart and blood vessels diseases and disorders and their methods of treatment.
- Open or endovascular repair of thoracic aortic aneurysms, abdominal aortic aneurysms, etc using branched stent grafts
- Balloon angioplasty and conventional surgical repair using stents in the affected vascular region
- Carotid artery stenting and carotid endarterectomy
- Open surgery or endovascular surgery for peripheral artery aneurysms
- Endovascular surgical procedures such as stenting and angioplasty in vascular regions
- Radio-frequency ablation and endo-venous laser therapy treatment for venous ulcers and varicose veins
- Open surgery or endovascular surgery to reconstruct a deep vein occlusion
- Surgical treatment of median arcuate ligament, lymphedema and other vascular deformities
Who is an ideal candidate for an Endovascular surgery?
You are considered to be an ideal candidate for any type of endovascular surgery if you are suffering from any of these medical diseases and disorders:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Thoracic aortic aneurysms
- Thoracoabdominal aneurysms
- Peripheral artery disease
- Peripheral artery aneurysms
- Venous ulcers
- Varicose veins
- Deep vein occlusions
- Nutcracker syndrome
- Median acruate ligament
- Chylous effusions
- Congenital heart disease
- Congenital heart deformity
- Ischemic heart disease
- Valvular heart disease
- Rheumatic heart disease
The cardiovascular specialist or the surgeon will check your medical history and your overall health to determine if you are fit to undergo a cardiovascular surgical treatment. The surgeon/doctor will discuss with you all your options and explain all the pros and cons of each individual treatment method to make you fully aware of its advantages and possible disadvantages.
Endovascular surgery procedures
There are various surgical methods and procedures to treat a heart or blood vessel disease. The type of treatment method or the surgical procedure will depend on different factors.
These are some of the more common endovascular surgeries:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery is one of the major and most common heart (cardiac) surgeries today. This surgery is performed either as an open type of surgery or as an endovascular surgery. The aim of this surgery is to bypass the obstructed part of the artery by diverting the existing left artery or using a harvested vein from the leg. This procedure allows the blood flow to resume normally through bypassing the obstruction.
- Balloon angioplasty is a form of endovascular surgical method used to widen the obstructed or narrowed blood vessel. This surgery works by inserting a deflated balloon attached to the end of a small and thin flexible tube called a ‘catheter’. This catheter is used to insert the balloon to reach the obstruction site and when the balloon is slowly inflated the blood vessel tends to increase in size. This allows the free flowing of the blood in the vascular system.
- Stenting is used to define the implanting of a small mesh tube to treat weak or narrow arteries. A coronary angioplasty is the procedure used to place a stent in the blood vessel to restore blood flow in it. Stents can be made from metal as well as fabric and are known as ‘stent grafts’ that are used in larger arteries.
- An endovenous laser treatment is one of the modern and latest surgical advances. This is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that uses ultrasound-guided techniques to use an optical fiber fitted with a laser light source to contract a varicose vein using an endovascular method.
Connect with Travcure Medical Tourism Consultants for Cardiovascular surgery in India
There is a large network of world-class quality standard cardiac specialty hospitals and clinics in major cities of India such as Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, etc that are equipped with the most modern and latest surgical and medical equipments available. These cardiac specialty hospitals and clinics
have a reputation of maintaining the highest standards for hospitality and nursing as well.
Travcure Medical Tourism Consultants are well renowned for being extensively-connected to this network of hospitals. Travcure is associated with the best and most experienced cardiovascular specialists and surgeons to endure that you get treated at the hands of the best there is. Travcure offers bespoke and affordable treatment packages for each individual patient that is most efficient for them.[free_quotes_and_consultation]