Septorhinoplasty is also referred as Rhinoplasty or a nose job. The term “Septo” means the cartilage partition in the nose has to be corrected as part of the procedure. Septorhinoplasty is one of the most common types of cosmetic procedure. In many cases, the septum is dealt with in order to achieve desirable results. There are two goals while performing septorhinoplasty:-
- To make the appearance of the nose look better.
- To improve the nasal breathing properly.
Septorhinoplasty surgery is performed on patients who have a nasal obstruction. The surgery not only improves the appearance of the nose, but it removes any internal obstructions that may be blocking breathing through the nose.
Candidate for a septorhinoplasty
- If someone has to undergo septorhinoplasty they should have a realistic expectation about the surgery.
- The candidate should be in a good overall health condition. It is very important to ensure that the candidate is medically fit and prepared for the surgery. The surgeons check the general health, medical history, medications and allergies of the candidate to avoid any future complications.
- Patients undergoing septorhinoplasty should be above 18 years of age as it is the age when the nose has finished its development.
- Septorhinoplasty is for candidates who want to achieve an improved look to enhance the self-confidence.
Prior to the procedure, the surgeons ask the patients to stop taking certain medications or any blood thinners two weeks before the surgery to reduce the risk of excessive bleeding during and after the procedure. A medical background check and previous medical history are checked before the surgery. The surgeons might take some pictures of the nose before the procedure.
The entire procedure can take around 30 to 90 minutes depending on the complexity of the condition. The surgery is performed under local or general anesthesia.
The surgeon makes an incision on one side of the nose to access the septum. The surgeon will then lift up the mucous membrane, which is the protective covering of the septum. The deviated septum is then moved and placed into the right position. In case if there are any barriers such as cartilage or extra pieces of bone then they are removed. Lastly, the surgeons reposition the mucous membrane. The patient may need some stitches to hold the septum and membrane in place.
- Improves the appearance of the nose
- Removes any internal obstructions that may be blocking breathing through the nose.
- Septorhinoplasty improves breathing.
- Septorhinoplasty corrects the bent or deviated septum.
- This surgery can also improve snoring & sleep apnea in the patients.
- Changes the shape of the nose.
- Septorhinoplasty creates balance with other facial features.
- Septorhinoplasty can help in achieving both cosmetic & functional improvements of the nose.
As any other cosmetic surgery, there are also some risks and complications related to the septorhinoplasty procedure. Following are some of the risks associated with septorhinoplasty:-
- Failure to achieve the desired result.
- Often edges of cartilage or bone are palpable which can be felt under the skin.
- At least 10% of patients who undergo Septorhinoplasty surgery end up needing a second septorhinoplasty correct the mistakes.
- Adhesions may occur.
- Septal perforation.
- Persistent post-op swelling, puffiness or dark rings under the eyes.
- Loss of sense of smell.
- Surgical emphysema.
- Revision surgery carries higher risk.
Why choose Travcure?
India is well known for its medical facilities. The concept of medical tourism is growing in India which gave rise to many medical tourism companies in India. Numerous medical tourism companies are available in India amongst which Travcure is the fastest growing medical tourism company.
Travcure is a one-stop shop for people who are considering travelling to abroad for their medical treatments. Consultants at Travcure ensure that their patients get best deals for their medical treatments. Travcure offers a wide range of services to their patients including assistance on visa & travel, airport pickup/drop services, accommodation, food, conveyance, fixing doctor’s appointments, prompt medical treatments and visits to exotic locations. At Travcure follow-up services are taken care of in the best possible way. Scheduling an appointment with the doctors, tests, tracking test results, post-surgery follow-ups are all taken care of.