What is a Heart Valve Replacement surgery?
A heart valve replacement surgery is used to remove and replace a defective valve in the heart. There are four valves in the heart that are responsible to keep the blood flowing through the heart in the correct direction between the four chambers of the heart.
The four heart valves are:
- Aortic valve
- Mitral valve
- Tricuspid valve
- Pulmonic valve
The most commonly replaced heart valve is the aortic valve as it is not possible to be repaired. The mitral valve, tricuspid valve and the pulmonic valve are rarely replaced. Thus the heart valve replacement surgery uses an artificial valve to replace a defective or diseased heart valve that loses its functioning ability partially or completely.
What happens in a Heart Valve Replacement surgery?
The heart replacement surgery can be performed using either the ‘open heart surgical method’ or the ‘minimally invasive surgical procedure’. The open heart surgery requires the doctor to make a larger incision in the breast bone of the patient so as to get complete access to the heart. While the minimally invasive method requires smaller incisions and is performed using an endoscope (thin tube with a video camera and other miniature surgical instruments attached to it) with robotic-assistance at times.
The procedure to replace any of the four heart valves begins with the administering of general anesthesia to the patient.
The procedure for replacing a valve involves removing the defective valve and replacing it with an artificial valve implant. There are two types of artificial valves:
- Biological – These are made of human or animal tissue and can function well from 12-15 years.
- Mechanical – These artificial implants are made from ceramic or metals, such as titanium or stainless steel. These artificial valves are life-long but there is a need to take blood-thinners for them to function efficiently.
What are the risks and benefits of a Heart Valve Replacement surgery?
The heart valve replacement surgery is also useful to repair the functioning of a defective valve as it can cause blood regurgitation (back-flow) as well limit the amount of blood flow (stenosis).
To Get Free Quotes & Consultation For This Treatment in India
Call Us: +91-8600044116
Email Us: email@example.com
These are the heart-related problems that are solved by undergoing a heart valve replacement surgery:
- Tricuspid valve stenosis
- Tricuspid regurgitation
- Pulmonary valve stenosis
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Mitral valve stenosis
- Mitral regurgitation – (acute & chronic)
- Congenital heart valve disease
- Aortic stenosis
- Aortic insufficiency
The heart valve replacement surgery can also help:
- Repair defects in the heart that can give rise to various heart disorders such as angina (chest pain), wheezing, syncope (fainting) and heart failure.
- Repair any defect in the heart function caused by a defective heart valve.
- Treat infection of the heart valve (endocarditis).
- Treat internal bleeding (hemorrhage), blood clots as well as replace a previous heart valve transplant that is not functioning properly.
There are certain risks believed to be related to a heart valve replacement surgery, such as:
- Heart failure
- Arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)
- Kidney failure
- Prolonged mild pain in the chest as well as low fever.
- Stroke or other brain injury
The doctors and surgeons will take all necessary and possible steps to eliminate, or reduce, the risks and complications related to heart valve replacement surgery.
Why to choose Heart Valve Replacement surgery in India?
The heart valve replacement surgical procedure requires the latest surgical instruments as well as immense medical expertise to raise the chances of being 100% successful and without future complications. The vast network of global-class hospitals and clinics in India employ the best and the most modern medical and surgical technology to perform heart procedures. These hospitals and clinics also have the most vastly experienced doctors and surgeons who are assisted with a superbly trained surgical staff. On top of this the heart valve replacement surgery in India is found to be the lowest cost procedure thanks to the dedication and assistance of Travcure Medical Tourism Consultants. Travcure ensures that your stay and surgery is performed in the most efficient and hassle-free manner at the lowest cost as compared to any other hospital abroad.