Knee joint is a significant joint in human body. Healthy knees are extremely important as it is required for movement. However, a joint disease known as arthritis may lead to pain and inflammation in a sound knee joint. According to top healthcare reports, arthritis affects nearly 40 million of the worldwide population. In such instances, surgeons usually suggest medications and physical therapy. But these treatments fail to provide comfort then surgery becomes necessary. Millions of international patients seeking serious arthritis treatment opt for a knee surgery every year. Studies estimate that number of patients undergoing knee surgeries have increased by 80% during last few decades.
What is Osteotomy of the Knee?
Knee is composed of three bones namely tibia (uppermost portion of shinbone), femur (thighbone) and patella (kneecap). The point of contact of these bones forms a knee joint. A material known as cartilage provides cushioning to the joint to enable smooth functioning. Knee osteotomy is a surgical intervention used to treat patients with an early-stage arthritis disease. It efficiently shifts weight off of the arthritic region to other part and provides relief from joint pain.
Good Candidates for Knee Osteotomy
This procedure is mostly recommended to relatively young and active patients in between 35 -55 years of age. In addition to this, patients should be able to bend their knees at least 90 degrees.
How to Prepare for Knee Osteotomy Procedure?
Patients may need to follow the given guidelines prior to knee osteotomy surgery.
- Imaging Tests –Orthopedic surgeons may recommend imaging tests like x-ray test or MRI scan to precisely evaluate patient’s knee condition. It will help them decide whether the patient requires knee osteotomy
- Medications – Patients should discuss regarding the medications they take on a regular basis. Surgeons may discontinue some medicines for a short interval.
- Food Intake – Patients are not allowed to eat or drink anything 8 – 12 hours before surgery.
- Arranging Helper –Patients may not be able to perform household work for some days following surgery. They must ask a family member or relative to take care of them during the healing phase.
Knee Osteotomy Procedure
Knee osteotomy surgery usually takes 2 – 3 hours for its completion, and it involves the following steps.
- Anesthesia –Surgeons give general or spinal anesthesia to patients before commencing the operation.
- Incision – Surgeons cut the portion below kneecap to access the damaged knee portion. After that, they carefully remove the wedge of bone.
- Insertion of Bone Graft –At the end, orthopedic surgeons place a wedge-shaped bone graft. Plates, rods, and screws are used to provide stability until the graft heals.
Surgeons monitor patients for some time in order to avoid post-surgery complications.
Major Advantages of Knee Osteotomy
The potential advantages of this procedure are as follows.
- Proper knee alignment
- Preserves knee ligaments
- Provides stability to knee joint
- Enable patients to participate in high-impact sports
Respective orthopedic surgeons will definitely discuss these benefits with patients during pre-surgery session.
Risks and Complications Associated with Knee Osteotomy
This surgical procedure carries the following risks and complications.
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Bone infection
- Clotting of blood
- Delayed bone healing
- Weakening of bone
- Nerve or blood vessel injury
Patients should inform respective surgeons if they experience any of these symptoms following the surgery.
Recovery Following Knee Osteotomy
Patients may require staying for 2 – 3 days in the hospital following knee osteotomy operation. Patients may experience pain for few days. Respective orthopedic surgeons will provide pain killers to help patients cope with pain and discomfort. Patients will be able to return back to their daily routine within a week. Surgeons may advise light exercises and physical therapy after a couple of weeks. However, complete recovery may take up to 6 months. Patients should follow the directions of orthopedic surgeons in order to recover faster.
Best Benefits of Knee Osteotomy in India
Availability of latest medical provisions and technology has made India a preferable healthcare destination. Indian orthopedic surgeons are acknowledged worldwide for performing best knee surgeries including knee osteotomy. Furthermore, knee surgery cost in India is extremely feasible as compared to other western nations. One of the leading global healthcare providers, Travcure Medical Tourism offers finest orthopedic treatments and surgeries at most reasonable rates. Healthcare professionals at Travcure are associated with prime hospitals in India that maintain international standards. Therefore, international patients willing to undergo a reliable and cost-effective knee osteotomy procedure can highly rely on Travcure.