For overall good spine health, one needs to have robust, stable core muscles. This includes abs and muscles in backside, from bottom to top. Having a strong core will help restrain further injury and keep one healthy. Condition called Scoliosis is not a disease, but it is a term used to report any irregular, sideways curvature of the spine. Typically, a spine is straight when viewed from the back. When scoliosis is detected, the spine can curve in one of following ways:
- A single curve to the left formed like the letter C.
- A single curve to the right formed like a backward letter C.
- Spine has two curves shaped like the letter S.
Causes & Types of Scoliosis
Below are some possible types of scoliosis along with their cause.
- Functional: The spine is normally usual in this type of Scoliosis, but an abnormal & irregular curve evolves due to some problem in the body. This could be a result of one leg being larger than the other or by muscle spasms in the backside.
- Neuromuscular: Either the spine bone fails to form entirely or they fail to separate during fetal development in this class of Scoliosis. Generally, patients with this condition develop a long C-shaped curve and have poor muscle strength. This class of scoliosis is often very critical and requires more aggressive treatment.
- Degenerative: Degenerative scoliosis is caused by changes in the spine due to arthritis referred as spondylitis. Weakening of ligaments and other soft tissues of the spine integrated with abnormal bone can lead to an irregular curvature of the spine.
What are the Symptoms of Scoliosis?
Following are symptoms of Scoliosis which should be taken into serious consideration:
- Curvature of spine.
- Irregular shoulders.
- Asymmetric waistline.
- One hip higher than the other.
- The patient may experience pain in back or tire easily during physical activities.
Treatment for Scoliosis
Scoliosis treatment is primarily based on two aspects:.
- Skeletal growth of the patient.
- Degree of spinal curve.
There are three major Scoliosis treatment options for patients which include include Observation, Braces and Scoliosis Surgery. Exercise is primarily advised for Scoliosis patients to keep backside muscles flexible and strong. Surgery for adolescents suffering from Scoliosis is only suggested when their curves are more than 40 to 45 degrees and still continuing to progress. Unlike braces, which do not rectify already existing spinal curves, surgery can amend curvature by about 50%. Moreover, Scoliosis Surgery prevents further advancement of deformity. Main purpose of Scoliosis surgery is to minimize the patient’s curve.
Aim of Scoliosis treatment in India is twofold.
- Straighten the spine
- Balancing physique for long term
Basically, there are two approaches to Scoliosis Surgery, first is an anterior approach & the other is posterior approach.
- Anterior Surgery (from the front): It incorporates expulsion of intervertebral discs and rectification of deformity using screws and rods or bone grafts (taken from pelvis).
- Posterior Surgery (from the back): It incorporates removal of some of the joints of spine and correction of deformity.
Key Benefits of Scoliosis Surgery
Scoliosis Surgery in India is a major attraction for Healthcare Tourists because of top-notch provisions and affordable services. The key benefits of Scoliosis treatment in India include the following.
- Excellent Quality of Medical Care: Most hospitals in India have award winning professionals and are equipped with latest technology. With most of health care units accredited the facilities provided are of high quality and of global standards.
- Cost Effectiveness: Cost savings is a prime motivator for seeking medical care in India. Travcure Medical Tourism in India provides better quality services to patients at very low costs.
- Transparent Communication (no language barrier): It’s very often that Medical Tourism Companies will advertise beautifully in English, but when the patient actually arrives, they face communication barriers. For instance, surgeons may speak English fluently, but the staff may not be able to understand and speak in English. Travcure Medical Tourism will ensure that not only doctors, but also nurses can communicate in English.
Cost of Scoliosis Surgery
Scoliosis Surgery cost in India depends upon the procedure chosen like anterior or posterior, medical condition, the surgeon, facility and city where you choose to undergo treatment. Scoliosis surgery cost in India approximately starts from $7,000 & onwards.
Rehabilitation Following Scoliosis Surgery
Back pain can be difficult to bear at first but will improve after few days. Spine surgery specialists state that most patients will be able to walk around well enough by the second or third day. Most patients return to school and work within 2-3 weeks by following surgeon’s guidelines properly. However, complete healing can take up to 6 months depending upon patient’s routine and will power.
Scoliosis Treatment with Travcure Medical Tourism in India
Travcure is a globally reputed healthcare service provider promoting medical tourism in India for international patients seeking affordable medical procedure beyond their homeland. Associated with the top doctors & surgeons in the country along with having tie-ups with a wide network of accredited hospitals within the subcontinent, Travcure is well placed to give you the best treatment package deals which are far more economical than their competitors. Travcure assures you of the best healthcare services down to the minutest detail so as to give global medical tourists a hassle-free & memorable healthcare journey experience. [free_quotes_and_consultation]