It is a proven fact that physical looks play an important role in building self-esteem and confidence of an individual. In most instances, people who consider themselves not so good-looking due to any of the body features including ears may lose their self-confidence. Many people admit of feeling embarrassed due to appearance or size of their ears. It has been observed that many children are teased in schools due to abnormal and asymmetrical ear structure. Even adults get inferiority complex due to disproportionate ears. They try to cover their ears with long hairs or accessories for hiding the imperfection. It can negatively impact one’s personal as well as professional life. Fortunately, otoplasty ear surgery is a permanent and effective solution for all such problems. Ear otoplasty can boost confidence of people struggling with low self-esteem due to unusual framework of ears.
What is Otoplasty Ear Surgery?
Also touted as ‘ear reshaping’, otoplasty is a popular cosmetic intervention which is used to correct dimensions of patient’s ear. This ear corrective surgery can significantly help in reshaping patient’s ears and creating a symmetrical appearance. Patients who have large or extremely small ears from birth or who have injured their ears in a serious accident may consult a plastic surgeon for undergoing an otoplasty surgery.
Good Candidates for Ear Surgery
The following category of patients is considered to be good candidates for otoplasty surgery.
- Age Factor – On an average, complete development of ears takes place up to 5 years of age. Therefore, patients must be above the age of five to undergo an otoplasty surgery.
- General Health – Patients should be healthy in nature and free from any chronic ear infection or diseases.
- Ears Sticking Outwards – Patients who struggle with noticeable ears that stick outwards too much can opt for an otoplasty surgery. This surgical treatment can correct the framework of protruding ears.
- Realistic Goals – Patients with unrealistic goals may not get satisfaction even after successful completion of otoplasty surgery. Patients must discuss their concerns with plastic surgeons prior signing the consent form.
How is Otoplasty Ear Surgery Performed?
Otoplasty surgery is a simple surgical approach for reconstructing more natural-looking ear contour by fixing the deformities. This cosmetic surgery generally takes up to three hours for completion and can be performed with the help of enumerated steps.
- Type of Anesthesia – Cosmetic surgeons usually choose general anesthesia while performing otoplasty surgery. In some cases, surgeons may prefer local anesthesia over general anesthesia.
- Incision – Most of the surgeons make a small incision either from inner folds or backside of patient’s ear depending on their requirements and expected outcomes.
- Removing Extra Cartilage – Respective cosmetic surgeons carefully remove the soft tissues or extra cartilage in ears that give it a protruding appearance. After this, surgeons close the incision by incorporating proper stitches.
Surgeons may monitor the condition of patient’s ear for a few hours following otoplasty surgery. Generally, patients can return back to home on the same day of surgery.
ALSO READ: What is Cosmetic Rhinoplasty surgery?
Risks and Complications
Otoplasty is a relatively safe and efficient cosmetic treatment procedure. However, it may result in the following complications if not taken care of.
- Clotting of Blood – There is a potential risk of clotting of blood near ear region. Cosmetic surgeons may provide antibiotics to avoid such a complication.
- Ear Infection – Ear infection is the most common complication that a patient may experience after completion of otoplasty ear surgery. In such cases, patients must contact respective cosmetic surgeons immediately on experiencing any abnormality in ears.
- Scarring of Ear – Patients may develop a visible scar at the incision site. Surgeons may prescribe ointments to reduce the scarring.
It is imperative to select an experienced cosmetic surgeon to get peerless results and minimize complications following otoplasty surgery.
ALSO READ: What is ENT-Head & Neck Surgery
Aftercare and Results Following Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Patients may experience soreness at the site of operated ear. Cosmetic surgeons may provide effective painkillers for this purpose. In addition to this, patients must ask a caregiver to help them with basic routine tasks like cleaning, cooking, showering and so on. Patients must keep their heads at an elevated position while sleeping. It will help them to fight the discomfort to a great extent. They must follow directions of plastic surgeons to boost the recovery process. Patients will be able to see the desired results over a certain interval of time, mostly after 6 weeks. These results mostly last a lifetime with least variations.
Best Benefits of Otoplasty Surgery with Travcure Medical Tourism
Travcure Medical Tourism has emerged as one of the major health care facilitators across the entire world due to its steadfast medical services and provisions. Medical experts at Travcure are associated with a wide network of health care centers and cosmetic surgeons serving in countries like India, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, Turkey, and Germany. The associated multispecialty hospitals are well-equipped with latest devices and instruments to ensure positive outcomes following any type of cosmetic procedure including an otoplasty surgery. Travcure makes sure their international patients get the otoplasty surgery and other cosmetic treatments at most cost-effective rates at desired location. Furthermore, they also provide recuperation packages to overseas guests for speeding up healing process and rejuvenating their mind and body as well. Therefore, international patients can heavily rely on Travcure for availing excellent medical facilities at affordable prices.